What we did in class, today – We discussed adverbs of degree and completed Activity 4 (p. 105 in the handout). I showed students how to find the articles to read in Achieve3000. The steps include the following:
- Go to http://www.achieve3000.com and log in.
- Click on “Mailbox.”
- Click on any of the titles of the articles that have been e-mailed to you.
- When the message opens, click on the name of the article, for example, “Looking for Water.” See Image 1.
- While you participate in the poll, do NOT explain why you voted the way you did.
- After reading the article, go to “Activity.” See Image 2.
- Answer the eight questions. If you need to refer to the article for help answering the question, click on “Refer to Article.” See Image 3.
Class video – Links to the two class videos from today should be accessible in MyGUST by tomorrow.
- Read at least three Achieve3000 articles and do the Activities before midnight on Friday, Sept. 19.
- Learn the meanings of the eight vocabulary words and their different forms (noun, verb, adjective and adverb) on p. 105 (handout) before Monday, Sept. 22.
- Complete Activity 6 (p. 108 in the handout) and read “Language Focus 10: Parallel Structure (p. 109 in the handout) before class on Monday, Sept. 22.
What we will do in class on Monday, Sept. 22 – We will have a short vocabulary quiz on the assigned vocabulary words (p. 105 in the handout) and their different forms at the beginning of class. Consequently, you need to be at your desk and have your laptop booted up at the beginning of class. The quiz will start at 2:00 for Section 55 and at 3:30 for Section 6. No extra time will be given to people who arrive late or who have not booted up their computers. We will begin writing an essay, afterwards.