What we did in class, today – I explained how to check your course grade and assignment marks in SIS.
- Go to the GUST home page.
- Click on SIS at the top of the page.
- Look at the list of your classes and click on the icon with the check mark next to ENGL 100.
- You can now see the date of each assignment, the name of the assignment, what category it belongs to, your mark, and the possible mark for that assignment.
- Your mid-term and course grades are shown at the top of the page.
Students were asked to log into Achieve3000 and go to their inbox. The were asked to open the e-mail from me that assigned “How Much for a Glass of Water?” as one of the three readings for this week. I explained that they are to complete the Activity and the Thought Question for this reading before 11:55 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 9. In addition, they are to read two Achieve3000 articles of their choice and complete the Activities for these two articles. If a student did not read the articles for last week, she can make up the readings. In other words, she will do the assignment for “How Much for a Glass of Water?” and read five other articles and complete their Activities this week.
We reviewed how revise and edit (revision of an introduction and sentence variety). Sara Al M. was kind enough to allow us to use her introduction to illustrate the process (see Sara’s model revised introduction). Students should continue revising their entire essay, for the final draft will be submitted to Turnitin no later than 11:55 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 7. This will be for 5% of your course grade. Students were encouraged to contact Ms. Rawan or Ms. Reem to set up a tutoring session to review their final drafts. (Their e-mail addresses are in MyGUST under “Extra Credit Form for Attending Writing Lab.”)
- Create a Turnitin account if you have not already done so. The class ID and password are near the bottom of the second page in the syllabus. Be sure you choose the class ID and password for your section. You must do this before Wednesday, Oct. 7.
- Finish editing and revising your process essay.
- Go to your Achieve3000 inbox. I have sent you an assignment for “How Much for a Glass of Water?” Complete the Activity and Thought Question. Also, read the two more articles and complete only the Activities before them 11:55 p.m. on Friday, October 9. I will record your first attempt scores. If you did not earn at least 75 or above, then go to the inbox and click on any of the other articles there and complete their Activities. Please note that you will be unable to access your inbox until after you have completed the LevelSet diagnostic test.
What we will do in class on Wednesday, Oct 7 – We will work on reading and vocabulary activities.