What we did in class, today – Students used Peermark in Turnitin to peer-review the one-paragraph synthesis of the three articles (p. 59, p. 64, and the handout “Orlando was the No. 1 U.S. tourist destination in 2014”). Afterwards, we discussed how to expand the paragraph into a five paragraph essay and wrote an outline for the essay (Activity 7 on pp. 68-69). We finished this session by reading “How Weather Has Changed World History” (pp. 139-141) and answering the post-reading questions on pp. 141-142.
- Complete the outline on pp. 68-69 by adding the hook, background, and at least two supports for each main point. Have this completed before class on Monday, Oct. 26.
- By Wednesday, Oct. 28, memorize the vocabulary on p. 142 and be able to use the words in sentences.
- Go to your Achieve3000 inbox. Open the message I sent you today (Oct. 19). Read “Too Many Climbers?” and complete the activity. Also, do the thought question. However, disregard the directions for the thought question. What I want you to do is write a one-paragraph summary of the article. Your paragraph must include at least three sentences. Be sure to use your own words. The activity and thought question must be completed before 11:55 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 23. (If you have already read “Too Many Climbers,” you must still do the thought question for it. However, you must choose three other Achieve3000 articles to do the activities for.)
- Choose any other two Achieve3000 articles, read them, and complete the activities before 11:55 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 23.
- If you have not written the Thought Question for “How Much for a Glass of Water,” complete it. I will deduct 10 marks for late work.
- If you have not submitted your process essay, bring your flash memory to me during my office hours so that I can upload it to Turnitin and mark it. Ten (10) marks will be deducted for late work.
What we will do in class on Monday, Oct. 26 – We will discuss how to write a cause and effect essay (Unit 6).