What we did in class, today – I announced that the cause / effect essay final draft (5% of the course grade) submission date has been extended to Thursday, Nov. 19. Students took the reading section of the midterm exam.
- The writing section of the mid-term exam will be on Wednesday, Nov. 11. Students will have 50 minutes during which they will write, revise and edit a five-paragraph essay. They will choose one of the writing prompts to respond to. The rhetorical patterns will be either process, cause, effect, or cause/effect. Students must type their essays in the Essay Template (also available in MyGUST). Anyone accessing the Internet during the exam – for any reason – will receive a ‘0.’ Be sure to bring your laptop, power cord, and flash memory. Students will submit their essays on their flash memories.
- Be sure to review the cause / effect / cause and effect organizational patterns handout and the cause essay guidelines handout before the exam on Wednesday, Nov. 19.
- Read two Achieve3000 articles of your choice and complete the activities for the two articles before 11:55 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 13.
- Go to your Achieve3000 mailbox. Read the two messages I sent you today. The subject line for both is Unit Assignment: Robots. The first e-mail instructs you to read “The Robot Hotel.” The second message instructs you to read “Robots in School.” After read the “Robots in School” and completing the Activity, students are to go to the Thought Question. Disregard the instructions. Instead, synthesize the information in this article (“Robots in School”) and the “The Robot Hotel” to write a one-paragraph cause and effect paragraph. The due date for this assignment is before 11:55 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 13.
- Continue revising your cause / effect essay, which is due no later than 11:55 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 19.
What we will do in class on Wednesday, Nov. 11 – Students will sit for the writing section of the mid-term. Be sure to bring your laptop, power cord, and flash memory. You must have MS Word installed on your laptop, and you must download the Essay Template to your hard drive. Save the file as your name – midterm exam, e.g. Alaa – midterm exam. Students who do bring their laptops will not be allowed to take the writing section of the midterm.