What we did in class, today – I returned copies of students’ Vocabulary Quiz 1B to them. Students are to let me know within 48 hours if I have entered their marks for Vocabulary Quiz 1A and 1B into SIS incorrectly. Next, we reviewed how to write a conclusion for a descriptive process essay, using the “echo” technique. After students wrote the rough draft of their conclusion, they submitted their work to Turnitin. At this point, the rough draft of Paper 1 is complete.
Bonus Credit Opportunities
- For each 45-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab, you will receive 1/2% bonus credit, for a maximum of 5% bonus credit. (See MyGUST for details.)
- Students who receive 75 or above on 10 Achieve3000 reading activities (first attempt) between Feb. 6 and 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 19 will earn 1/2% bonus credit.
- Students who attend the Flash Fiction: Stories in 5 to 55 Words on Monday, Feb. 15, in W1-010 at 12:30 p.m will receive 1/2% bonus credit. If they submit a 5- or 55-word short story by Feb. 18, they will receive an additional 1/2% credit.
- For Achieve3000 this week, you may choose any three articles that are in your Achieve3000 in-box (“New Smart Phone Maker Passes Apple,” “The Gift of Life,” and “Helping Mother Nature”) or you may use the Achieve3000 search engine to find articles. However, you must read three Achieve3000 articles and complete the Activities before midnight on Friday, Feb. 12.
- Week 4 Vocabulary List is based on “New Smart Phone Maker Passes Apple,” “The Gift of Life,” and “Helping Mother Nature.” Memorize these words and how they are used in sentences, for there will be a vocabulary quiz on Thursday, Feb. 11. The quiz will include words from Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, and Week 4 vocabulary lists.
- Revise and edit the rough draft of Paper 1, which will be submitted for a mark on Thursday, Feb. 11.
What we will do on Tuesday, Feb. 9 – We will work on our reading skills.