What we did today – We discussed how skimming and scanning helps students to locate useful articles quickly and to find answers on reading quizzes. Then, students used the techniques of skimming and scanning to complete an Achieve3000 reading and activity. Finally, working in groups, we did a marked in-class activity, using Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, and Week 4 vocabulary.
Grades in SIS – Please check your marks for the Vocab Competition 1, today’s in-class activity.
Bonus Credit Opportunities
- Students who attend the Flash Fiction: Stories in 5 to 55 Words on Monday, Feb. 15, in W4-101 at 12:30 p.m will receive 1/2% bonus credit. If they submit a 5- or 55-word short story by Feb. 18, they will receive an additional 1/2% credit.
- Students who receive 75 or above on 10 Achieve3000 reading activities (first attempt) between Feb. 6 and 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 19 will earn 1/2% bonus credit.
- For each 45-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab, you will receive 1/2% bonus credit, for a maximum of 5% bonus credit. (See MyGUST for details.)
- For Achieve3000 this week, you may choose any three articles that are in your Achieve3000 in-box (“New Smart Phone Maker Passes Apple,” “The Gift of Life,” and “Helping Mother Nature”) or you may use the Achieve3000 search engine to find articles. However, you must read three Achieve3000 articles and complete the Activities before midnight on Friday, Feb. 12.
- Week 4 Vocabulary List is based on “New Smart Phone Maker Passes Apple,” “The Gift of Life,” and “Helping Mother Nature.” Memorize these words and how they are used in sentences, for there will be a vocabulary quiz on Wednesday, Feb. 10. The quiz will include words from Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, and Week 4 vocabulary lists. (Click here for the Week 5 vocabulary with their Arabic synonyms.)
- Finish revising and editing Essay 1. It should contain an introduction, at least three body paragraphs, and a conclusion. It will be submitted to Turnitin during class on Thursday, Feb. 11.
What we will do on Thursday, Feb. 11 – We will take Vocabulary Quiz 2 and submit the final draft of Essay 1 to Turnitin. Essay 1 is worth 5% of your course grade. (Be sure to save your essay on your flash memory before you come to class.)