What we did in class, today – On Sunday, students had written their introduction and first body paragraph of Paper 2 (effect essay on effects of watching violent video games). (Only information from Insert Coin: Part 5 – Violence in Video Games, Can a Video Game Lead to Murder and “Effects of Violent Videos” handout can be used.) Today, they worked on the body of their effect essay and the conclusion.
Bonus Credit Opportunities
- Students who attend the Poetry Slam on Tuesday, March 15, at 12:00 noon in W1-010 will receive 1/2% bonus credit. Those students who recite or read one of their own poems in English will receive 5% bonus credit.
- For each 45-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab, students will receive 1/2% bonus credit, for a maximum of 5% bonus credit. (See MyGUST for details.)
- Students who receive 75 or above on 10 Achieve3000 reading activities (first attempt) between Feb. 28 and 11:59 p.m. on March 11 will earn 1/2% bonus credit.
- For Achieve3000 this week, you may choose the three articles I assigned you via e-mail in your Achieve3000 in-box (“What’s in a Name,” “Working Too Hard,” and “Post-World War II World: New Rules in Asia”) or you may use the Achieve3000 search engine to find articles. However, you must read three Achieve3000 articles and complete at least three Achieve3000 Activities before midnight on Friday, March 11.
- Vocabulary Quiz 5 is based on “What’s in a Name,” “Working Too Hard,” and “Post-World War II World: New Rules in Asia.” Memorize these words and how they are used in sentences, for students will take Vocabulary Quiz 5 in class on Thursday, March 10. Vocabulary Quiz 5 will include words from Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4 , Week 5, Week 6 and Week 7 vocabulary lists. (Click here for the Week 7 vocabulary with their Arabic synonyms.)
What we will do in class on Thursday, March 10 – We will take Vocabulary Quiz 5 in class.