What we did in class, today – After students took Vocab Quiz 5, we discussed how to prepare for next week’s midterm exams. Please note that Vocabulary Quiz 5 scores of students who did not attend class today will not be recorded as part of their course grade. This quiz had to be completed in class.
Bonus Credit Opportunities
- Students who attend the Poetry Slam on Tuesday, March 15, at 12:00 noon in W1-010 will receive 1/2% bonus credit. Those students who recite or read one of their own poems in English will receive 5% bonus credit.
- For each 45-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab, students will receive 1/2% bonus credit, for a maximum of 5% bonus credit. (See MyGUST for details.)
- Students who receive 75 or above on 10 Achieve3000 reading activities (first attempt) between Feb. 28 and 11:59 p.m. on March 11 will earn 1/2% bonus credit.
- For Achieve3000 this week, you may choose the three articles I assigned you via e-mail in your Achieve3000 in-box (“What’s in a Name,” “Working Too Hard,” and “Post-World War II World: New Rules in Asia”) or you may use the Achieve3000 search engine to find articles. However, you must read three Achieve3000 articles and complete at least three Achieve3000 Activities before midnight on Friday, March 11.
- Memorize the patterns for effect essay thesis sentences and topic sentences before the writing section of the midterm exam on Tuesday, March 15.
- Vocabulary Quiz 6 will be in class on Thursday, March 17. Vocabulary Quiz 6 will include words from Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4 , Week 5, Week 6,Week 7 and Week 8 vocabulary lists. (The link for Arabic synonyms for Week 8 vocabulary can be accessed by clicking here.)
- For Achieve3000 next week, you may read any one of the articles sent to your Achieve3000 in-box or you may use the Achieve3000 search engine to find an article. However, you must read one Achieve3000 article and complete the Activity for it AND complete one thought question before midnight on Friday, March 18.
What we will do in class on Sunday, March 13 – We will take the reading part of the midterm exam in class. Consequently, be sure you have your laptop and power cord with you.