What we did in class, today – I announced that all grades have been entered in SIS. If there is an error, students must come to my office during my office hours so that the error can be corrected. Students were reminded that they must complete and submit their final draft of Thought Question 1 before midnight on Thursday, Oct 6.
After playing a vocabulary game based on vocabulary in Unit 1, students completed p. 25 and 27 in Great Essays 5.
LEAVING THE CLASSROOM DURING CLASS and MOBILES
1. Students who leave the classroom during class time will be marked absent.
2. Mobiles must be kept in pockets or book bags. Students who have their mobiles out or appear to be looking at their mobiles will be marked absent.
- For each 30-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab (N2-103) located on the first floor of the GUST Library, you will receive 0.5% extra credit per tutoring session if you stay the entire 30 minutes and if you work sincerely. You may receive tutoring with your writing assignments and Achieve3000 thought questions. To receive help with your writing assignments, you must bring a soft (electronic) copy of your rough draft on a flash memory as well as a hard (photocopy) copy of the rough draft. The maximum extra credit you can earn is 5%. Your participation must be documented on the Bonus Credit Form.
- Reading contest 1 – The contest covers the time period from Sunday, Sept 25, through Friday, Oct 7. This is for 0.5% extra credit. To receive credit, you must score 75 or above on Activities for 10 Achieve3000 articles. Only first attempt scores will count.
- Revise your Thought Question (one-paragraph summary of “Strong as Steel”) in Achieve3000 before midnight on Thursday, Oct. 6.
- Read and complete the Activities for Achieve3000 article “Goodbye to the Greatest” before class on Thursday, October 6. Read two other Achieve3000 articles of your choice and complete their Activities before midnight on Friday, October 7. If your first-attempt scores are less than 75, you can read extra Achieve3000 articles before the deadline, and I will record the highest top three first attempts.
What we will do in class on Thursday, Oct 6 – We will work on paraphrasing and summarizing as well as reading and a writing.