What we did in class, today – We discussed paraphrasing and summarizing. Students summarized “Orlando: From Tiny Town to Major Metropolitan Area” on p. 59 in Great Essays 5. They wrote:
According to the authors of “Orlando: From Tiny Town to Major Metropolitan Area,” tourism has several causes and one big result. After the opening of the railroad, tourists started heading to this central Florida town. Also, it resulted in the opening of several major tourist attractions, which have lured tourists here. Consequently, with more and more tourists coming, job opportunities opened up. This led to an increase in Orlando’s population.
Afterwards, students did Activity 1 and 2 on p. 60 in Great Essays 5 and wrote a one-paragraph summary of “Goodby to the Greatests” as a Thought Question in Achieve3000.
- For each 30-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab (N2-103) located on the first floor of the GUST Library, you will receive 0.5% extra credit per tutoring session if you stay the entire 30 minutes and if you work sincerely. You may receive tutoring with your writing assignments and Achieve3000 thought questions. To receive help with your writing assignments, you must bring a soft (electronic) copy of your rough draft on a flash memory as well as a hard (photocopy) copy of the rough draft. The maximum extra credit you can earn is 5%. Your participation must be documented on the Bonus Credit Form.
- Reading contest 1 – The contest covers the time period from Sunday, Sept 25, through Friday, Oct 7. This is for 0.5% extra credit. To receive credit, you must score 75 or above on Activities for 10 Achieve3000 articles. Only first attempt scores will count.
- Revise your Thought Question (one-paragraph summary of “Strong as Steel”) in Achieve3000 before midnight on Thursday, Oct. 6.
- Read and complete the Activities for Achieve3000 article “Goodbye to the Greatest” before class on Thursday, October 6. Read two other Achieve3000 articles of your choice and complete their Activities before midnight on Friday, October 7. If your first-attempt scores are less than 75, you can read extra Achieve3000 articles before the deadline, and I will record the highest top three first attempts.
- Complete Paraphrasing Exercises 1 and 2 in MyGUST before class on Monday, Oct. 10.
What we will do in class on Monday, Oct 10 – We will begin writing a descriptive process essay.