What we did in class today – Students wrote a five-paragraph essay on the process of passing a class (Activity 11) in MyGUST. They were reminded that the final draft of their descriptive process essay (how a Snickers bar is made, the life cycle of a frog, the process of circulation, etc.) is due on Tuesday, Nov. 1. Students were encouraged to come for extra help during my office hours (1-1:50 on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and 2-2:50 on Mondays and Wednesdays in W1-170). Ms. Rawan and Ms. Bushra in the English Department’s Writing Lab (first floor in the library) are also available to help students revise and edit their papers.
- Read Achieve3000 article “A Pink Lizard and a Striped Fish”and complete the Activity and Thought Question (a one-paragraph summary of the article) before midnight on Friday, Oct. 28. (This will be Thought Question 4.) Read two other Achieve3000 articles of your choice and complete the Activities for them before midnight on Friday, Oct. 28. (If you want to read extra articles, use the Achieve3000 search engine to locate other articles.)
- Continue revising and editing your descriptive process essay. The due date for the final draft is Tuesday, Nov. 1.
- Memorize the vocabulary contained in the Language of Process handout before the writing section of the midterm on Thursday, Nov. 10.
- Reading contest 3 – The contest covers the time period from Saturday, Oct 22, through Friday, Nov 4. This is for 0.5% extra credit. To receive credit, you must score 75 or above on Activities for 10 Achieve3000 articles. Only first attempt scores will count.
- Musical Poetry on Nov. 23 from 12:30-2:00 in W6-500 – Students who attend this event will receive bonus credit. They must sign an attendance register and not use their mobiles during the event.
What we will do in class on Sunday, Oct 30 – Students will analyze combining sentences – with particular emphasis on participles – for more effective writing. They will complete two interactive activities, Combining clauses with participle constructions 1 and Combining clauses with participle constructions 2 in MyGUST. Students will continue editing their descriptive process essays.