What we did in class today – Students revised Essay 2, paying particular attention to ensuring they had used sentences indicating cause and effect and the language of cause and effect. Afterwards, we discussed the importance of language in scoring the final exam. Then, students wrote a practice final exam and submitted it to Paper Rater to see what their essay would have scored if it were marked by a computer. Students who attended Dr. Al-Nakib’s lecture today and signed the sign-in sheet were reminded that they must submit a typed or handwritten one-paragraph summary of the event to me no later than Monday, Dec. 4, in order to receive bonus credit.
- Read three Achieve3000 articles of your choice and complete the Activities before midnight on Friday, Dec. 2.
- Students who attended Dr. Al-Nakib’s lecture today and signed the sign-in sheet must submit a typed or handwritten one-paragraph summary of the event to me no later than Monday, Dec. 4, in order to receive bonus credit.
Final Exam – Sections 12 and 13 will sit for the final reading exam on Monday, Dec. 19, during their regular class time. Section 12 students will take the writing final exam on Tuesday, Dec. 20, at 8 a.m. in W3-201B. Section 13 students will write the final writing exam on Tuesday, Dec. 20, at 10 a.m. in W3-201B. The time limit is 60 minutes.
- Reading contest 5 – The contest covers the time period from Saturday, Nov. 19, through Friday, Dec 2. This is for 0.5% extra credit. To receive credit, you must score 75 or above on Activities for 10 Achieve3000 articles. Only first attempt scores will count.
- Participate in a poetry writing workshop, December 7, at 12:30 in W1-010. This is for 0.5% extra credit.
- For each 30-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab (N2-103) located on the first floor of the GUST Library, you will receive 0.5% extra credit per tutoring session if you stay the entire 30 minutes and if you work sincerely. You may receive tutoring with your writing assignments and Achieve3000 thought questions. To receive help with your writing assignments, you must bring a soft (electronic) copy of your rough draft on a flash memory as well as a hard (photocopy) copy of the rough draft. The maximum extra credit you can earn is 5%. Your participation must be documented on the Bonus Credit Form.
What we will do in class on Monday, Dec 4 – We will revise our cause or effect essays. Then, we will practice for the final reading exam.