What we did in class, today – Today, we practiced speed writing an essay in 50 minutes by following the steps below from the file “The 50-Minute Essay.” (The file is available in MyGUST under the week of September 24-28.)
- 5 minutes – Brainstorm
- 5 minutes – Write the thesis sentence in one paragraph and then start three new paragraphs which contain ony the topic sentence.
- 5 minutes – Return to the first body paragraph and add two major supporting sentences.
- 5 minutes – Return to the second body paragraph and add two major supporting sentences.
- 5 minutes – Return to the third body paragraph and add two major supporting sentences.
- 5 minutes – Start a fourth paragraph with a topic sentence that paraphrases your thesis sentence. Add 2-3 sentences that summarize your main points. Add a concluding sentence.
- 5 minutes – Go back to each of the body paragraphs and add two minor supporting sentences.
- 5 minutes – Go back to the introduction and begin it with a hook. Add some background information.
- 10 minutes – Revise and edit your essay.
As you become familiar with this process, you will be able to write faster and will find you have even more time to revise.
Homework – If you did not finish complete Ch. 1 Writing Paragraphs 2 and Ch. 1 Writing Paragraphs 3 before class today, you must finish them, tonight since they will close tomorrow. Also, complete RW3.1 Apply and RW3.1 Write Drafting by tonight. They may be closed tomorrow, and you will have a 0 for those assignments.
What we will do in class on Monday, Oct. 2 – We will focus on thesis statements and body paragraphs, so be sure to bring your laptop and flash memory.