What we did in class, today – Section 6 students discussed “Flight from Conversation” (pp. 41-44 in the e-text In Concert: Reading and Writing). Awrad (connector), Haneen (illustrator), Harriet (researcher), Jana (vocabulary wizard), Reem (questioner), Sarah (summarizer) and Shaikha (literary luminary) did a really good job of leading the discussion as part of their Literature Circle roles. We also made an idea map of “Flight from Conversation” to help check our comprehension. Sections 2 and 7 did not meet today because of the Organization of Kuwait First Science Festival opening ceremony.
Bonus credit opportunities
- It was announced that students can earn up to five percent bonus credit for going 10 times to the English Department’s Writing Lab (first floor in the library) for tutoring. They must take the bonus credit form with them, but only a TA (either Ms. Bushra or Ms. Fajer) may tutor them for bonus credit.
- Also, students have another opportunity for 1/2 percent bonus credit by attending the Basics and Principles of Human Rights Workshop on Wednesday, Oct. 11, at 12:00 noon in N1-012. It will be delivered by human rights activist Nawaf AlHendal. To receive the credit, students must show me their certificate of attendance from the organizers of the workshop and write a one-paragraph summary of the talk, which will be submitted to me.
- The English Department will host Musical Poetry on Monday, Dec. 4, at 12:30. Students who attend, stay for the entire performance, and write a paragraph explaining which poem was their favorite and why will receive 1/2 percent bonus credit. Students who perform will receive 2%.
- Sections 2 and 7 should prepare to discuss “Flight from Conversation” (pp. 41-44) in the e-text In Concert: Reading and Writing on Tuesday.
- Sections 2, 6 and 7 should read pp. 55-62 in the e-text In Concert: Reading and Writing before class on Tuesday, October 10.
What we will do in class on Tuesday, Oct. 10 – Section 6 students will speed write timed, five-paragraph essay on an assigned topic. Then, we will revise and rewrite the draft, so be sure to bring the idea map and the text of “Flight from Conversation” to class as well as your laptop and flash memory. Sections 2 and 7 students will discuss “Flight from Conversation” and complete some of the textbook exercises from Chapter 2.