What we did in class, today – Students wrote Writing Practice 5 in MySkillsLab. They were cautioned that they must not access the Internet for any information; otherwise, they would receive a ‘0’. They were assigned to write a problem-solution essay on one of the following topics:
- Lack of parking space at GUST
- Students paying someone to write their essays
- Students using their mobiles in class
- Students swiping for other students
Afterward, they copied their essay into MyGUST. They were reminded that they must do this in order to receive a mark.
Because students will write a problem-solution essay as in-class Essay 2 next week, they were encouraged to practice writing a problem-solution essay. They can get feedback by submitting it to Paper Rater. To use this free service, they should follow the steps below.
- Click on the ‘Use Now Free’ button.
- Paste your text into the frame.
- Select ‘College (Undergraduate)’ as your education level.
- Select ‘Essay’ as type of paper.
- Click on the ‘I have read and agree to the terms of service below’ button.
- Click on the ‘Get Report’ button.
- Click on each tab (Spelling, Grammar, Word Choice, Style, Vocabulary Words, Grade) for feedback.
Bonus credit opportunities
- It was announced that students can earn up to five percent bonus credit for going 10 times to the English Department’s Writing Lab (first floor in the library) for tutoring. They must take the bonus credit form with them, but only Ms. Bushra or Ms. Fajer may tutor them for bonus credit.
- Read ‘Mind Your Own Browser’ (pp. 240-242 in MySkillsLab e-reader) before Sunday, Dec. 10.
- Make up work in MySkillsLab before midnight on Thursday, Dec. 7. This will be the last chance to make up the work.
What we will do in class on Sunday, Dec. 10 – We will practice writing a problem-solution essay since that is the rhetorical pattern for in-class Essay 2. We will base our practice essay on ‘Mind Your Own Browser’ (pp. 240-242 in MySkillsLab e-reader), so be sure to read the article before class.