What we did in class, today – Students took a learning styles quiz and filled out an opinion graphic organizer as related to their learning styles described in ‘Secrets for Surviving College and Improving Your Grades’ (pp. 5-9 in Pearson’s e-Text in MySkillsLab). Students completed 3.3 Recall 1 and Recall 2.
Course Grade – Please note that students’ overall Pearson grades have been uploaded to MyGUST, so you are now able to see your course grade.
For each 30-minute tutoring session in the English Department’s Writing Lab located on the first floor of the GUST Library, you will receive 0.5% extra credit per tutoring session if you stay the entire 30 minutes and if you work sincerely. You may receive tutoring with your writing assignments. To receive help with your writing assignments, you must bring a soft (electronic) copy of your rough draft on a flash memory as well as a hard (photocopy) copy of the rough draft. The English Department’s Writing Lab is normally open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. in N2-103 on the first floor of the GUS Library. The maximum extra credit you can earn is 5%. Your participation must be documented on the Bonus Credit Form for English Dept Writing Lab Tutoring. (This form is also in MyGUST and can be downloaded from there.)
- If you did not finish your learning styles quiz, finish it before tomorrow’s class and bring it to class.
- If you did not finish the opinion graphic organizer regarding whether you agree with the advice for people with different learning styles, finish it before tomorrow’s class and bring it to class. If you need help with it, refer to the sample opinion graphics file – learning styles (also available in MyGUST).
- Practice responding to “Secrets for Surviving College and Improving Your Grades’. Choose any one idea from it and write about why you agree or disagree with that idea. Use the Response Essay Template to practice writing your practice response essay. Download your essay to a USB and make an appointment with either Mrs. Salwa or Ms. Bushra for feedback. They are available in the English Department’s Writing Lab (1st floor in Library) from 9:30 to 2:30 each weekday.
- Register for Pearson MySkillsLab through MyGUST if you have not done so already. Create a Gmail account if you do not already have one.
- For those of you who need help installing the Pearson LockDown Browser, I have created a step-by-step file with pictures (Installing the Pearson LockdownBrowser) that will show you how to install it.
What we will do in class, Tuesday (May 21) – Students will use a step-by-step response essay template to practice writing a response essay. Students should bring their learning styles quiz, opinion graphics organizer, and a copy of ‘Secrets for Surviving College and Improving Your Grades’.